Here are the facts: Tottenham Hotspur is in a cup final. Tottenham Hotspur is six points back of fourth place, with a match in hand and two months to go. Tottenham Hotspur could still make this a somewhat successful season on paper.
The facts do not match the mood, however, and after Thursday’s shocking performance in Europe, most supporters are ready to pull the plug on this season — and this manager. It looks incredibly difficult for Jose Mourhino to be able to keep his job heading into next year, and it would surely take both a trophy and a top-four finish at the very least.
Spurs face Aston Villa on Sunday before next week’s international break. Due to Covid issues earlier thsis season, this will be the first time the two teams have seen each other. Tottenham won both fixtures last season, including a stolen victory by Heung-Min Son at the very end. Villa have been better this year after narrowly avoiding relegation and enter the weekend just behind Tottenham in the table.
There is not much else to say at this point. Spurs have the quality to put up a challenge over the final 10 matches, but the past few months have shown that this is quite unlikely to happen. A win today keeps the possibility alive, but how much faith can be put in a team that has consisntely fallen flat for months?
How to Watch
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!