All there is to say has already been said. For the umpteenth time this season, Tottenham Hotspur choked away a lead in the last 10 minutes and let two crucial points slip away against Newcastle last Sunday. Instead of entering the weekend just one point out of fourth, Spurs remain stuck in a mess with West Ham, Chelsea, and Liverpool all within three points of each other.
The task now gets much harder as second-place Manchester United comes to town. The Red Devils have not lost in 10 straight Premier League matches, and were unbeaten in the 13 matches prior to that, so grabbing three points this Sunday will be a challenge. A draw here is probably fine, but that is far from a given either.
October’s 1-6 demolition at Old Trafford feels like a lifetime ago. An instant United penalty looked to be the start of a very long day, but both Tanguy Ndombele and Heung-Min Son scored in the next five minutes, with Harry Kane adding on after an Anthony Martial red card. Son and Serge Aurier found the net on opposite sides of halftime, and a Kane penalty finished off the incredible afternoon.
This team is still capable of this type of performance, but it seems foolish expecting anything close. There was once the hope that Jose Mourinho could find a way to set up against a big side, but at this point his tactics have run dry and his days in North London look numbered. Tottenham needs at least something from this match, and it will take some impressive individual efforts to do so.
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, April 11, 2021
Time: 11:30 a.m. ET, 4:30 p.m. UK
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: none (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: Peacock Premium (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!