Well...this has been quite the start to the week. Pressure was going to be high already with Tottenham Hotspur’s entire season coming down to Sunday’s cup final, but an attempt at global football reorganization and the sacking of Jose Mourinho have slightly changed the focus of the conversation. And oh, apparently there is a match today as well.
Interim head coach Ryan Mason will take the reins as Spurs host Southampton. Fourth place looks all but lost at this point, although who knows if that even means anything anymore. Even before the Super League announcement it seemed like the League Cup was all that really mattered this season, and this week’s events further emphasize that claim.
Tottenham thrashed the Saints at the start of the year thanks to Heung-Min Son, who scored an incredible four goals in just over one half’s worth of play. All four goals were assisted by Harry Kane, who also found the net in the 2-5 win. This season has been forgettable for Southampton, with a -17 goal differential and another fairly low table position.
Perhaps Spurs will find a spark with the managerial change. The stakes may not be high on Wednesday, but Sunday will be here quickly. It seems like there are a ton of questions about the future of football globally, but the questions are just as loud locally for a club who finally admitted its hiring mistake. We will see how long it takes to reap the dividends from that change.
⚪️ Lloris (C), Aurier, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Bale, Lucas, Son. #THFC ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/ZRWIzrQSQg— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 21, 2021
T E A M S H E E T— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) April 21, 2021
The #SaintsFC side to take on #THFC tonight: pic.twitter.com/gTuAQ9ZtLU
How to Watch
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Time: 1:00 p.m. ET, 6:00 p.m. UK
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: none (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: Peacock Premium (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!