It feels like much longer than just two weeks ago that Tottenham Hotspur took three points against Aston Villa and kept its top-four dreams alive. Despite a frustrating North London Derby and an embarrassing Europa League collapse, the club still a couple big opportunities, including a cup final and the chase for Champions League football next season.
With five teams fighting for fourth, Spurs cannot afford to drop many points over the final two months. That means that Sunday’s trip to Tyneside absolutely must result in a win. Newcastle is in the relegation zone and wineless in its last six, finding goals very difficult to come by. There is no excuse for dropping this one coming out of the break.
The reverse fixture was played way back in September and was perhaps an ominous sign of things to come. Lucas Moura put Spurs on top via Harry Kane, but an extremely controversial Eric Dier penalty led to an injury time 1-1 equalizer, marking the first of many collapses by Tottenham this season.
That cannot happen this weekend, and hopefully Tottenham will instead look to build out a lead against a bottom-table opponent. Jose Mourinho is likely fighting for his job, and with the apparent return of Heung-min Son, it is time to maximize the skill set of the squad and play attacking football.
-— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) April 4, 2021
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, April 4, 2021
Time: 9:05 a.m. ET, 2:05 p.m. UK
Location: St James’ Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: NBCSports.com (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!