A decent performance against Wolves on Sunday put Tottenham Hotspur into sixth place in the Premier League with just two matches remaining. While this season will end in disappointment regardless of finish, a sixth (or fifth) place position and Europa League berth will feel a whole lot better than seventh place and the new Europa Conference League, or worse, not in Europe at all.
Wednesday’s visit from Aston Villa is the more manageable of the pair of remaining fixtures, with a trip to Leicester set for Sunday. Villa has just one win in its last seven matches, but a mid-table finish is an improvement over last season’s narrow escape from relegation. There is only pride to play for at this point for the visitors.
Spurs took the reverse fixture 0-2 in March. Carlos Vinicius scored his only Premier League goal to put Tottenham ahead, with Lucas Moura doing the work to make it happen. Harry Kane earned and converted a second half penalty to double the lead. He is currently tied with Mo Salah with 22 goals and leads the league with 13 assists.
Wednesday will also feature fans in the stadium for the first time since the North London Derby and subsequent Europa League win over Antwerp. The last two seasons have felt strange for a variety of reasons, but holding onto sixth place would at least give the squad a little positivity heading into next year.
How to Watch
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2021
Time: 1:00 p.m. ET, 6:00 p.m. UK
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, England
TV: none (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: Peacock Premium (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Follow along with live updates throughout the match!
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!