It is finally here. From the moment the Champions League final ended in June 2019, it feels like everything has been downhill for Tottenham Hotspur. Gone are Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho, and Ryan Mason’s brief stint at the helm will be over after Sunday. The future of Harry Kane is looking more and more likely to be away from North London as well.
Today’s finale against Leicester is in some ways a much-needed ending to a drastic decline over the past 24 months and offers a chance to turn the page into a new era at Spurs. However, with no clear candidate to take the managerial role and the very real possibility of losing the heart and soul of the team, there is no guarantee next season will provide any real relief.
A few things are up for grabs against the Foxes. A Tottenham win guarantees at least seventh place and a berth to the inaugural Europa Conference League. The other matches to watch are West Ham (vs. Southampton), Everton (at City), and Arsenal (vs. Brighton). Here are the potential outcomes for Spurs:
- TOT win + WHU loss = 6th (UEL)
- TOT win + WHU win/draw = 7th (UECL)
- TOT draw + EFC draw/loss + ARS draw/loss = 7th (UECL)
- TOT loss + EFC loss + ARS draw/loss = 7th (UECL)
Aside from European placement and finishing ahead of Arsenal for the fifth-straight season, the only other thing to watch is Kane against the stats leaderboard; he is still tied with Mo Salah in goals and leads Bruno Fernandes by one assist. It would be great and fully deserved for him to finish atop the league in both categories, but it is difficult to feel completely invested in the beloved striker right now.
Despite the frustrations of this season, it has still been a pleasure to support this club together. Thanks for following along with us, this year and always. COYS!
How to Watch
Date: Sunday, May 23, 2021
Time: 11:00 a.m. ET, 4:00 p.m. UK
Location: King Power Stadium, Leicester, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), Sky Sports Main Event (UK)
Streaming: NBCSports.com (USA), Peacock Premium (USA), Sky GO Extra (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
Follow along with live updates throughout the match!
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!