It is probably not wise to focus so much on the top-four race, but that is all that the final month of the season is about for Tottenham Hotspur. There are still as many as five teams in contention for the last Champions League spot, and Spurs enter the weekend five points back with just four matches remaining.
After wins over Southampton and Sheffield United, Tottenham hopes to make it three in three against Leeds United. The two squads met for the first time in a while just after New Year’s, with Spurs winning 3-0 at home. Harry Kane converted a penalty before assisting Heung-Min Son to build a two-goal cushion, and Toby Alderweireld sealed the three points just after halftime.
Ryan Mason’s crew looked lively last weekend, taking the game right to the overmatched Blades. Leeds should provide a bit more of a test and will be extending its Premier League stay for at least another season, set to finish near the middle of the table. Saturday will be its fourth fixture against a Big Six foe over its last eight.
Spurs will need some help to sneak into fourth place, but it also requires taking care of the matches right in front of them. Last week it was encouraging to see the proactive style of attack and urgency in the press, but repeating that performance against a better side would go even further to rid the taste of Jose Mourinho.
How to Watch
Date: Saturday, May 8, 2021
Time: 7:30 a.m. ET, 12:30 p.m. UK
Location: Elland Road, Leeds, England
TV: NBCSN (USA), BT Sport 1 (UK)
Streaming: NBCSports.com (USA), BTSport.com (UK)
Cartilage Free Captain has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Cartilage Free Captain and SB Nation may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our guiding principles.
⚪️ Lloris (C), Aurier, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguilón, Højbjerg, Dele, Lo Celso, Bale, Son, Kane.#THFC ⚪️ #COYS pic.twitter.com/UsuHhA4jFr— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) May 8, 2021
An unchanged #LUFC Starting XI but Kalvin Phillips and Raphinha make the bench against Tottenham— Leeds United (@LUFC) May 8, 2021
Follow along with live updates throughout the match!
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an unmoderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!