I think it’s pretty safe to say now that as far as Tottenham Hotspur goes, this international break has sucked. Between the chaos in Brazil involving Cuti Romero and Gio Lo Celso to a raft of injuries (or at best, niggles) heading into Saturday’s Premier League match at Crystal Palace, I don’t think anyone’s feeling particularly great about how the past two weeks have gone.
So let’s revel in misery, just for a second. While there’s still a few days (and matches) left before this godawful break ends and we can get back to the business of club football, let’s take a look at the Spurs players who now have injury concerns, no matter how minor, or who are confirmed out of action against Palace.
- Cristiano Romero — OUT (quarantine)
- Giovani Lo Celso — OUT (quarantine)
- Davinson Sanchez — OUT (quarantine)
- Ryan Sessegnon — Questionable (injury, international duty)
- Son Heung-Min — Questionable (calf injury, international duty)
- Oliver Skipp — Questionable (groin injury, international duty)
- Steven Bergwijn — ???? (photographed with wrapping/ice on ankle, international duty)
We don’t REALLY know the status of the injuries, and some of them (like Bergwijn’s ankle) are based on a single photo of something that might be standard recovery stuff after an injury. But maybe not! And it might be worth speculating on how Tottenham might line up against a refreshed Palace side minus potentially seven players.
Ban international football.