The late Jim Valvano, who won the NCAA Men’s Tournament with underdog NC State back in 1983, had a simple phrase that his team lived and died by: “Survive and advance.”
Tottenham Hotspur are in that situation now in the Champions League. After five matches, not a damn thing has been resolved in Group D. All four clubs can advance and all four clubs can be knocked out of the competition depending on how results shake out today. For Spurs, picking up one point will be more than enough to advance to the knockout stage while a win means they will win the group. Picking up nothing today means elimination from the biggest club competition and having to play in Europa League.
Marseille have had to quash some rumors of problems in their camp this week. Infighting appears to be the story as players aren’t buying into the tactics, yet at the same time there’s confidence from the French side that they can win this match and move on because of Spurs track record as of late.
Spurs will be without Antonio Conte in the manager’s box today as he picked up a red card at the end of the last match for his reaction to the VAR decision that nullified a winning goal. Also missing the match today are Cuti Romero, Dejan Kulusevski and Richarlison, who are all out with injuries. I’d expect as full strength of a lineup as possible, one of which will probably be a 3-5-2 with Kane and Son up top. A hostile crowd awaits Spurs in France, so the task at hand is not going to be easy.
Lineups will be posted one hour before kick-off.
How to Watch
Olympique Marseille vs. Tottenham Hotspur
Stade Orange Velodrome, Marseille, France
Time: 8:00 PM UK, 4:00 PM ET
TV: BT Sport 2 (UK)
Streaming: Paramount Plus (USA), DAZN (CAN
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, transphobic, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!