We’ve listened to a lot of music this year. In fact, fitzie’s even done a wrapped hoddle on this.
Some of you eagle-eyed hoddlers might have noticed that Caroline Polachek’s Desire I Want To Turn Into You was named fitzie’s favourite album of 2023.
The only thing that wrapped missed was my favourite song from 2023.
That’s a tougher category. So let me do a quick rundown of some of my favourites:
- Sweet Sounds of Heaven, by The Rolling Stones
- Springtime, by Allison Russell
- Smoke, by Caroline Polachek
- Pretty In Possible, by Caroline Polachek
- Evicted, by Wilco
- Will Anybody Ever Love Me?, by Surfjan Stevens
- Vampire Empire, by Big Thief
- My Love All Mine, by Mitski
- Younger & Dumber, by Indigo de Souza
- Psychos, by Jenny Lewis
Of that list of 10, my one criteria for fitzie’s song of the year will be the song that I’ve had the hardest time forgetting. A song that has stuck with me, that I keep going back to, that I find moving.
Even using that criteria, it’s still a difficult choice. Lots of those songs have stuck with me. But there can only be one.
And this one is a song that I keep going back to again and again. It’s a breathtaking end to an incredible album.
Fitzie’s track of the day: Smoke, by Caroline Polachek
And now for your links:
Dan KP: Oliver Skipp given chance to prove he belongs in Ange Postecoglou’s squad
Mary Earps voted BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year 2023