Here we go! Tottenham Hotspur are back in action today in their third friendly of the preseason. This time they’re experiencing the comforts of home — Spurs will host Ukrainian Premier League side Shakhtar Donetsk in a friendly match that is a fundraiser for Shakhtar’s club charity.
OK, but it’s also a little more than that, at least symbolically. The shadow of Harry Kane’s possible move to Bayern Munich hangs like the Sword of Damocles over everything that Spurs does. Will Kane play tomorrow, knowing it’s quite possibly the last chance for him to say goodbye to the Spurs home fans? Will he be held out to make sure that he doesn’t pick up a stupid injury which could scupper the deal? Gonna be interesting.
Also — this is ostensibly the Manor Solomon Match™. While the club hasn’t said anything to confirm it, the low-key conspiracy theory is that this match was arranged in order to partially mollify Shakhtar, who were pissed off that Spurs were allowed to acquire Solomon, formerly a Shakhtar player, as a free agent. Is that true? We don’t know. Would anyone be surprised if it were true? Nope.
So that’s all the narrative. But this is also a chance to see Spurs’ players in action, including — maybe? — new signing Ashley Phillips. (It’s still too soon for Micky van de Ven who will sign early next week)
Remember, this is a friendly. It’s meaningless. It won’t stop anyone from deciding they want to take every performance way too seriously, but it does mean that if you do you really should go out and touch some grass afterwards.
Ange Postecoglou names his first starting XI at @SpursStadium!— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) August 6, 2023
How to Watch
Tottenham Hotspur vs. Shakhtar Donetsk (friendly)
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, North London, UK
Sunday, August 6, 2023
Time: 9:00 a.m. USA, 2:00 p.m. UK
TV: not televised (UK/USA). Check international listings at livesoccertv.com
Match thread rules
The match thread rules are the same as always. To any visitors coming here for the first time, welcome! We’re glad you’re here! Wipe your feet, mind the gap, and be sure to check out the other pages at this outstanding site. While you’re here, though, we have a few rules and regulations:
- Absolutely no links to illegal streams. They’re bad and they get us in trouble. Violators will be warned or banned.
- We have rules against “relentless negativity.” Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t knee-jerk and post outlandish or hurtful things just because you’re frustrated.
- Along those lines, outright abuse of players or match officials is also not allowed. It’s fine to say “wow, that was a really bad call,” but it’s NOT okay to direct copious amounts of abuse in the direction of said official over a call you did not like.
- Treat other people in the match thread the way you would want someone else to treat your grandmother. Be nice. This is a community of fans, not an un-moderated message board.
- NO SPIDERS!
- Finally, while we don’t have a rule against profanity, please try and keep the naughty words in check. Also, language that is sexist, racist, transphobic, or homophobic in nature will be swiftly deleted and you will be immediately banned. This is an open, supportive community.
Have fun, and COYS!