Tottenham Hotspur and Partizan Belgrade both played football poorly on Thursday, though in entirely different ways. The result was a 0-0 draw that will be neither terrible, nor satisfying for either team, though lots of fans are likely to feel like they've wasted two hours of their time.
Partizan's best chance came in the 24th minute, off a throw in to Danko Lazovic. Federico Fazio got turned badly, but Jan Vertonghen came up with a good block and Nabil Bentaleb cleared. It was a rough hiccup for Fazio, but it seemed to wake him up, and he was pretty good for the rest of the game.
Spurs had a lot of possession and a small handful of half-chances, but didn't ever really look like scoring. Both fullbacks were pretty poor in both directions, which exacerbated most of Tottenham's problems. Harry Kane probably had his worst game for Spurs to this point, while Andros Townsend, Aaron Lennon and Paulinho certainly didn't help. Erik Lamela looked good after he came on, but couldn't create anything for himself.
Partizan really should have scored on a half-dozen occasions, but their finishing was so comically bad that Hugo Lloris wasn't tested. Seriously, this was a very bad match.
- I'm not concerned about Harry Kane. This was uncharacteristically poor.
- Thinking about turning down £14m for Andros Townsend makes me want to vomit.
- Benjamin Stambouli and Nabil Bentaleb were both excellent and the only true bright spots in this game. They just got no help.
- Seriously, Benji is an angel.
- I hope most of these players do not make the 18-man squad this weekend