Were you worried about Tottenham Hotspur after two straight boring draws? You shouldn't be. Their second unit blasted a full-strength Monaco team on Thursday, winning 4-1 at White Hart Lane to clinch first place in their Europa League group.
It was a huge day for Erik Lamela, who bagged his first career hat trick. The first goal came just two minutes in, with Tom Carroll breaking up play to start the attack. Clinton N'Jie found Ben Davies down the left wing, and he played a perfect cross to the six-yard box where Lamela tapped in.
Son Heung-Min set up the other two goals, and both came not long after changes in possession. Lamela's second was a gorgeous strike from the edge of the area in the 15th minute, and he completed the hat trick on the 37th after a fantastic defensive play by Clinton started a quick counter -- and Lamela even finished that one with his right foot.
Eric Dier picked up a knock in the first half and was subbed off. Though he was running around comfortably after the injury, Mauricio Pochettino still opted to make a precautionary swap, and brought on Nabil Bentaleb.
Monaco pulled back a goal in the 61st minute, with 16-year-old Kylian Mbappe Lottin setting up Stephan El Shaarawy for a stunner. But Spurs put their foot back on the accelerator after that and finished strongly. Carroll secured the points with his first senior goal for Spurs in the 77th minute, dribbling past two defenders on the endline before scoring from the narrowest of angles.
- Nacer Chadli also got 30 minutes here, so yay depth!
- Kevin Wimmer is a dang tank.
- If Carroll has any issues, it's that he gets a little wild in the press and gets caught out of position. His slight frame doesn't seem to be a problem, though, and he might be our best player from a pure technique standpoint.
- Josh Onomah is good at everything, already, and I love him and he's the best.
- Bentaleb still doesn't look like he knows what he's doing defensively.
- I wish we got to see Cameron Carter-Vickers in this one.
- Any complaints above are super nit-picky, we were awesome in this game and no player was bad.